Summer is a time when delicious fresh fruits and vegetable are plentiful. Unfortunately, fruit flies are also plentiful during this time of year, and they want those fruits and veggies. The problem with fruit flies is, once you have one or two in your home, you know it’s going to turn into a swarm in no time. So, how can you rid your home of these pesky insects without having to use any chemical deterrent?
Well, the first step to ridding your home of any fruit flies, is to not give the flies any reason to enter your home in the first place. By making sure the flies aren’t being attracted by any exposed fruit, vegetables, or meat is how you can avoid these little buggers all together. Here are a few things you can do to make sure the flies don’t come in.
1. Cover or refrigerate your fruits and vegetables.
2. Don’t keep any meat, vegetable, or fruit scraps in your indoor garbage.
3. Be sure to wash all of your dishes and rinse out the sink and drains.
4. Check your windows and screen for cracks or holes.
Of course, if you happen to already have fruit flies in your home, it’s time to make a good old-fashioned fruit fly trap. Making the trap is actually quite easy and not at all time consuming.
To make your own fly trap, all you need are the following things:
1. Cup or jar.
2. Plastic wrap.
3. Cider vinegar, red wine, stale bourbon, orange juice……these are all fine.
4. A few slices or pieces of ripe fruit.
5. Rubber band and a toothpick.
The steps are simple: Pour a little bit of your liquid into the cup/jar, add your pieces of fruit. Cover cup/jar with the plastic wrap and secure with the rubber band. Finally, poke a few holes in the plastic with the toothpick. The flies should fly in but not out. (You can also try adding a drop or two of dish detergent, to help capture the flies in the liquid.)
And there you have it, some simple tips to help you rid your home of fruit flies this summer.