Skip to content

A Common Chemical To Look Out For

What are some of the first things we do everyday before we head out the door? Take a shower, brush our teeth, put on deodorant? What if I told you that there was a chemical found in some soap, toothpaste, mouthwash and deodorant that could be potentially harmful. The name of the chemical is Triclosan, and it is an antibacterial agent that is used in many household items. 

According to some studies, Triclosan can be harmful to the immune system by contributing to bacterial resistance in people, which can lead to superbugs that can’t be killed by antibiotics. Overexposure to Triclosan increases the likelihood of developing allergies, since exposure to bacteria reduces allergies. On top of being potentially harmful to your immune system, it can also be harmful to the environment. Triclosan is toxic to aquatic bacteria, it inhibits photosynthesis in certain algae which are responsible for a large part of photosynthesis on Earth.

There is an easy solution for combating against the possible harmful affects of this chemical, simply look for products that don’t use it. If you do happen to still use a product which contains Triclosan for say, mouthwash, then change to a soap that doesn’t contain the chemical. Even by just reducing the amount of Triclosan you come in contact with everyday will help.